San Marcos Academy was named one of the 30 Best
Christian Boarding Schools
in America by
selected SMA based on several weighted factors, including academic excellence,
extracurricular richness, geographical and demographical diversity, and reputation. TheBestSchools.org is a
leading resource for prospective students seeking a college or university degree.
to read the entire article and view the profile of SMA.
San Marcos Academy is a
Christian school for boarding students (6th-12th grades) and day students (5th-12th), located in the
beautiful Texas hill country. We offer a unique educational experience, including the following:
- Fully accredited, college preparatory curriculum
- Residence halls offer a nurturing, structured environment that fosters success
- 5-day boarding program available for students living within a 70-mile radius of SMA
- Full athletics program for middle and high school students
- Leadership training opportunities (including JROTC and 4-H)
- Honors/AP and dual-credit college courses
- Small class sizes and low student-to-teacher ratio provide individual attention
- Fine arts opportunities in music, drama and visual art
- Credit recovery through our virtual learning center
- A Learning Skills Center for students with mild to moderate learning differences
- International Student Program provides English as a Second Language instruction
The mission of San Marcos Academy is to educate young men and women within a nurturing community based
upon Christian values.
The vision of San Marcos Academy is to produce leaders whose lives are built on integrity, a strong moral
compass, a total commitment to life-long learning and who exemplify Christ’s devotion to service and His
compassionate concern for others.
SMA Core Values drive our campus culture, our priorities, and guide our ministry. They include the following:
Accreditation and Memberships
- Belief in Jesus Christ, the Son of God and the Savior of all mankind who works in us, through us and for us;
- Enrichment of lives built on honesty, integrity, character, and the compassionate concern for others;
- Accountability for honorable conduct in actions and relationships;
- Rigorous pursuit of spiritual, academic, and physical excellence; and
- Successful preparation of servant leaders.
Strong accreditations are a foundational component of SMA. The accreditations symbolize to the educational
community that high standards of education are being met at SMA. SMA graduates are noted by universities as
having attended a school with highly recognized accreditations. San Marcos Academy is accredited or recognized
by the following accrediting bodies:
SMA is a member of the Association of Boarding Schools (TABS) and is a partner school with the Independent
Educational Consultants Association (IECA). We are also a member of the Texas Christian Athletic League
(T-CAL) and the Christian Athletic League of San Antonio (CALSA).
- Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) a division of
(SMA is one of only three schools in Texas that has been granted continuous accreditation since 1913)
- Accrediting Commission of the Texas Association of Baptist Schools
which is part of Texas Private School Accrediting Commission (TEPSAC) set up by the Texas Education Agency for private schools (SMA is a founding member of this body, which was founded in 1985)
- Texas Education Agency
When is SMA’s application deadline?
San Marcos Academy has a rolling enrollment process which means our Admissions staff will review every
application regardless of the time it was submitted. We also have many new students who enroll at midterm
for the spring semester.
What is your average enrollment?
An average enrollment at San Marcos Academy is 270 students. About 55% of our students live on campus in our residence halls.
Does the Academy enroll day students?
Yes! We have a number of day students who come from San Marcos and about 14
other surrounding communities, including Kyle, Buda, Wimberley, Lockhart and New Braunfels. We recommend
that day students live no more than 40 minutes away from our campus.
Is SMA a Baptist school?
San Marcos Academy is a privately owned, non-profit educational institution chartered by the State of Texas
and founded in 1907. We have been affiliated with Texas Baptists through the Baptist General Convention of
Texas since 1910 and receive some financial support from the BGCT. Our mission as a Christian college
preparatory school is to educate young men and women within a nurturing community based upon Christian values.
Do international students attend SMA?
We are privileged to have a diverse student body that includes international students from as many as 15
different countries in any given year. We are a SEVP-certified school, which means we can accept
international students who come to the United States to study on an F-1 Visa.
How does the Academy’s calendar compare to that of public schools?
Like other schools in Texas, San Marcos Academy provides 180 instructional days. We have a semester-based
calendar with the fall semester beginning in August and ending before Christmas and the spring semester
beginning in January and ending in May. Some of our instructional days are scheduled on Saturdays, which
we call “LEAD” days. These are marked clearly on our annual calendar and in most cases, all
students are required to attend school on these days (usually on a 9 a.m. to noon schedule). Our school
holidays are tailored somewhat to accommodate those boarding students who are traveling to their homes.
Thus, we have a full week off at Thanksgiving and at Spring Break, as well as a three-week Christmas break
(between semesters). We also have occasional “long-leave” weekends when classes are released
earlier on Friday and do not resume until Tuesday.
To which universities are San Marcos Academy seniors accepted?
SMA graduates are accepted to colleges and universities throughout the country and overseas. To view a
Google Maps list of acceptances for some of our recent graduates, click on the links below:
Class of 2016 |
Class of 2015 |
Class of 2014 |
Class of 2013 |
Class of 2012